What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture has been practiced in both animals and humans for thousands of years to produce a healing response in the body. Acupuncture involves the use of very thin, sterile needles at specific energetic points just under the skin where there is a high density of free nerve endings, blood vessels, lymph ducts and mast cells. Through placement in these energy channels the needles enhance circulation and induce the release of beta-endorphins, serotonin and other neurotransmitters throughout the body with the goal of restoring normal body homeostasis.
Is Acupuncture Safe?
Yes! Acupuncture is a very safe medical procedure when administered by a qualified practitioner. Many animals become sleepy and relaxed after a treatment. Some animals may experience minor discomfort as needles are placed.
How Long Does Each Treatment Take?
Each session may take between 20-40 minutes. The first session takes longer than follow-up appointments.
How Soon Can We See Results?
Some results can be seen immediately but others require several treatments. Generally speaking a minimum of 3-5 treatments 1-2 weeks apart for chronic conditions are needed before seeing significant improvement.
How Can Acupuncture Benefit My Pet?
Clinical trials indicate that acupuncture therapy can be effective in the following conditions:
- Musculoskeletal problems: pain management for muscle soreness, back pain, osteoarthritis, degenerative joint disease
- Neurological disorders: seizures, intervertebral disc disease, laryngeal hemiplegia, nerve paralysis
- Gastrointestinal disorders: nausea, diarrhea, colic, constipation
- Other chronic conditions such as skin problems, renal failure, chronic liver disease, behavioural problems, infertility, Cushings disease, geriatric weakness
- Quality of life and hospice care
- Performance enhancement and disease prevention
Always work closely with a veterinarian to develop a treatment plan for your pet. Alternative healing methods like acupuncture might have the potential to make your pet’s life more comfortable and can be used in conjunction with traditional medicine.